- The Good Earth
- Pen and black ink, blue chalk, graphite and white gouache on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 3/16 × 22 3/4 inches (38.6 × 57.8 cm) and Image: 13 1/2 × 21 3/8 inches (34.3 × 54.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper center: "CHINA ", inscribed in pen, with black ink, center left: "WITH | JAP. COMPLIMENTS | TO | HON. CIVILIZATION", inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower right: "NEAREST | RABBIT HOLE"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, center: "EDEN HULL U.S.A."; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center: "THE GOOD EARTH."; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "6-9-37 | 1444"
Signed in brush and black ink, lower right: "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and E. Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Low, 1891–1963, New Zealand, The Good Earth, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.