- Pen and black ink, blue chalk, graphite and white gouache on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 × 18 7/16 inches (33 × 46.8 cm) and Image: 11 3/8 × 17 inches (28.9 × 43.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper right: "1st. REPRESENTATIVE OF CIVILISED STATE: | "DON'T YOU THINK, AFTER ALL, THERE MAY BE | SOMETHING IN THE IDEA OF HAVING A POLICE FORCE?" | 2nd DITTO: | "TUT TUT! TOO RISKY! MUCH WISER AND CHEAPER | TO WAIT UNTIL WE'RE ALL MURDERED IN OUR BEDS.""; inscribed in pen, with black ink, center left: "THE JAP-CHINA | MIX - UP"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center: "UNEASY STREET"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "No. 7 22 1/2 x 17 17 3/4 x 12 1/4 [...]; inscribed in blue chalk, verso, upper, right: "9-1-33"; inscribed in blue chalk, verso, lower right: "889"
Signed in brush and brown ink, lower right: "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and E. Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.