- Materials & Techniques:
- Pen and black ink, blue chalk, graphite and white gouache on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 × 18 7/16 inches (33 × 46.8 cm), Image: 11 3/8 × 17 inches (28.9 × 43.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper right: "1st. REPRESENTATIVE OF CIVILISED STATE: | "DON'T YOU THINK, AFTER ALL, THERE MAY BE | SOMETHING IN THE IDEA OF HAVING A POLICE FORCE?" | 2nd DITTO: | "TUT TUT! TOO RISKY! MUCH WISER AND CHEAPER | TO WAIT UNTIL WE'RE ALL MURDERED IN OUR BEDS.""; inscribed in pen, with black ink, center left: "THE JAP-CHINA | MIX - UP"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center: "UNEASY STREET"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "No. 7 22 1/2 x 17 17 3/4 x 12 1/4 [...]; inscribed in blue chalk, verso, upper, right: "9-1-33"; inscribed in blue chalk, verso, lower right: "889"
Signed in brush and brown ink, lower right: "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and E. Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.