Figure Leaning over Stairs
- Former Title(s):
Seated Man and Woman Embracing, a Second Man Standing Behind Looking On
- Pen, brown ink, black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 x 7 7/8 inches (30.5 x 20 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "H. Fuseli. 1789"; in pen and black ink, upper center: "Shakspeare Prints"; in graphite, lower center: "Engraved"; inscribed on back in graphite, center: "630"
T.E. Lowinsky collector's mark
Signed and dated in graphite, lower right: "H. Fuseli .1789"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dress | genre subject | kissing | leaning | man | moustache | stairs | tights | woman
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Fuseli, 1741–1825, Swiss, active in Britain (1766–70; 1779 on), Figure Leaning over Stairs, 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.