IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Henry Fuseli, 1741–1825, Swiss, active in Britain (1766–70; 1779 on), Figure Leaning over Stairs, 1789
Figure Leaning over Stairs
- Former Title(s):
Seated Man and Woman Embracing, a Second Man Standing Behind Looking On
- Pen, brown ink, black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 x 7 7/8 inches (30.5 x 20 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "H. Fuseli. 1789"; in pen and black ink, upper center: "Shakspeare Prints"; in graphite, lower center: "Engraved"; inscribed on back in graphite, center: "630"
Collector's mark: Thomas Esmond Lowinsky (Lugt 2420a)
Signed and dated in graphite, lower right: "H. Fuseli .1789"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dress | genre subject | kissing | leaning | man | moustache | stairs | tights | woman
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.