Imogen Entering the Cave, 'Cymbeline', Act III, Scene VI
- Former Title(s):
- Watercolor with brown ink and scraping over graphite on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper with contemporary drawn border
- Mount: 27 5/16 x 21 7/16 inches (69.3 x 54.4 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 23 9/16 x 18 5/16 inches (59.8 x 46.5 cm), and Sheet (cropped to image): 22 1/16 x 16 13/16 inches (56 x 42.7 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink, lower center, on mount: "Imogen entering the cave | Best draw my sword; and if mine enemy | But fear the sword like me, he'll scarcely look on't. | Grant such a foe, good heav'ns!"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Cymbeline"
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower right: "MH | 1781"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- breeches | cap | cape | cave | cross-dressing | Cymbeline, Act III, Scene VI | Cymbeline, play by William Shakespeare | doublet | fear | gaze | gesturing | literary theme | plays by William Shakespeare | plume | rocks (landforms) | sandals | sash | skirt | stockings | sword | woman
- Associated People:
- Imogen (character in Cymbeline)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Mary Hoare, 1744–1820, British, Imogen Entering the Cave, 'Cymbeline', Act III, Scene VI, 1781
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.