Arviragus, Bearing Imogen as Dead in his Arms, 'Cymbeline', Act IV, Scene II
- Part Of:
- Watercolor with brown ink and scraping over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper with contemporary drawn border
- Mount: 14 5/8 x 16 9/16 inches (37.1 x 42 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 12 3/16 x 14 7/16 inches (31 x 36.7 cm), and Sheet (cropped to image): 10 15/16 x 13 3/16 inches (27.8 x 33.5 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower center, on mount: "Arv: The bird is dead | That we have made so much on! I had rather | Have skipt from sixteen years of age to sixty; | And turn'd my leaping time into a crutch, | Then have seen this~"; lower right, on mount: "Cymbeline, act 4th"
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower left, on mount: "M H 1780"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- brothers | carrying | cave | cloaks | cross-dressing | Cymbeline, Act IV, Scene II | Cymbeline, play by William Shakespeare | dead | fur | grass | literary theme | plays by William Shakespeare | sandals | sister | slippers | spear | trees
- Associated People:
- Imogen (character in Cymbeline)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Mary Hoare, 1744–1820, British, Arviragus, Bearing Imogen as Dead in his Arms, 'Cymbeline', Act IV, Scene II, 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.