- Watercolor with gray ink and gouache over graphite on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 1/4 x 20 1/4 inches (33.7 x 51.4 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, lower center: "S H Grimm fecit 1776"; in brown ink, verso, now covered by backing sheet: "A view of Kennington. Common by Samuel Jerome Grimm | who was in England in 1760. and died here in 1794"
Watermarks: J Whatman
Signed and dated in black ink, lower center: "S H Grimm fecit 1776"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bonnets (hats) | buildings | capes (outerwear) | carriage | children | common | costume | cows | donkeys | dresses | fences | genre subject | horses (animals) | landscape | leisure | men | people | pigs | trees | walking | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Kennington | Kent | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
William Hauptman, Samuel Hieronymus Grimm (1733-1794) : a very English Swiss, 5 Continents Editions, Milan, 2014, pp. 126-27, cat. no. 39, NJ18.G81 H38 2014 (YCBA)
Justin Lovill, 1776 : A London Chronicle or How to Divert Oneself while Losing an Empire, The Bunbury Press, London, 2019, p. 18, DA682 .L66 2019 (LC) (YCBA)
Scott Wilcox, British watercolors, drawings of the 18th and 19th centuries from the Yale Center for British Art , Hudson Hill Press, New York, 1985, no. 8, pl. 8, ND1928 W533 1985 (YCBA)