Arches in the City Wall, Canterbury
- Former Title(s):
Sudbury's Tower, Canterbury, from the Westgate
- before 1769
- Watercolor with pen and gray ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper mounted on contemporary heavy textured laid paper Mount: Thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 x 14 13/16in. (26 x 37.6cm), Mount: 13 1/4 x 18in. (33.7 x 45.7cm), Sheet: 10 1/4 × 14 7/8 inches (26 × 37.8 cm), and Mount: 13 1/4 × 18 inches (33.7 × 45.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink on verso, center: "Arches in the wall Cantebury;" in pen and black ink: "See a view of the"Arches in a wall in the City of Cantebury" almost exactly like this 2 Grose's | antiqs."; in graphite, upper left "J 6240"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | bridge (built work) | man | river | riverbank | tower (building division)
- Associated Places:
- Canterbury | England | Kent | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Capt. Francis Grose, 1731–1791, British, Arches in the City Wall, Canterbury, before 1769
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.