View of Ipswich, Suffolk
- Watercolor with pen and black ink over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured cream laid paper
- Sheet: 7 7/8 x 14 1/16in. (20 x 35.7cm) and Sheet: 7 7/8 × 14 1/8 inches (20 × 35.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower center: "View of Ipswich Suffolk August 19 1765"; inscribed on verso in pen and black ink, center: "View of Ipswich Suffolk | August 19th 1765."; in graphite, center left: "8916/ Francis Grose 1731-1791 | LCD"
Paul Mellon's collector's stamp
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | cityscape | river | town | tree | windmills
- Associated Places:
- England | Ipswich | Orwell | Suffolk | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Capt. Francis Grose, 1731–1791, British, View of Ipswich, Suffolk, 1765
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.