<< YCBA Home Yale Center for British Art Yale Center for British Art << YCBA Home

YCBA Collections Search

 
Creator:
James Gandon, 1742–1823, British
Title:

Elevation for the West Front of Parliament House, Dublin

Date:
ca. 1787
Medium:
Watercolor and pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper bar scale of 1/8 inch to 1 foot
Dimensions:
Sheet: 9 7/8 x 15 1/16 inches (25.1 x 38.3 cm)
Inscription(s)/Marks/Lettering:

Paul Mellon collector's mark; Watermark: J Whatman

Credit Line:
Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
Copyright Status:
Public Domain
Accession Number:
B1977.14.5667
Classification:
Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
Collection:
Prints and Drawings
Subject Terms:
architectural subject | columns | elevation (drawing) | niches | parliament | relief
Associated Places:
Ireland
Access:
Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Link:
https://collections.britishart.yale.edu/catalog/tms:9918
Export:
XML

An admirer and student of Sir William chambers (cats. 116-17), James Gandon was the foremost neoclassical architect working in Dublin in the late eighteenth century. Although his designs, such as this one for the Parliament House in Dublin, echo the forms of ancient Roman architecture, Gandon himself never traveled beyond Great Britain and Ireland. Rather, he learned classical architecture through discussions with Chambers, by looking at prints and drawings, and by studying books such as Vitruvius Britannicus. Admired during his lifetime as "Vitruvius Hibernicus," Gandon published s two-volume expansion of Campbell's seminal text. Through Irish connections made at the London home of Paul Sandby, Gandon was invited to Ireland by John Dawson, 2nd Viscount Carlow (later 1st Earl of Portarlington). In Dublin by 1781, he became a prominent figure in the redesign of Dublin that marked this period. His designs for the domed Custom House (1781-91) on the River Liffey and the adjacent Four Courts building established the public face of Georgian Dublin. He also designed additions to the Irish Parliament House when Westminster renounced its right to legislate Ireland in 1783. In this design for the Ionic-columned west front, Gandon demonstrates his study of classical form as well as his interest in sculptural decoration. The project of expanding both the House of Lords and the House of Commons became the work of many architects, and Irish architect Samuel Hayes adapted Gandon's design for the west Façade.

William Laffan, Ireland : crossroads of art and design, 1690-1840, The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 2015, p. 228, no. 45, no. 45, N6787 .I74 2015 OVERSIZE (YCBA)


If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.