Design for a Medal: Frederick and Augusta, Prince and Princess of Wales
- Pen and black ink, over graphite with red chalk, incised and squared for transfer on medium, moderately textured, blued white laid paper mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, and pen with black and red ink, border lines
- Mount: 11 × 7 5/8 inches (27.9 × 19.4 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 4 1/8 × 4 1/8 inches (10.5 × 10.5 cm), and Sheet: 2 3/8 x 2 3/8 inches (6 x 6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite within image, upper center: "Frederick & Augusta Prince & Princess of Wales"; in graphite, on mount, upper right: "6707 [C?] Mellon"; Verso: inscribed in graphite on mount, upper right: "68/12/20/58"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- design | figures (illustrations) | medal | military art | portrait | prince | princess
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Joanna Marschner, Enlightened Princesses : Caroline, Augusta, Charlotte, and the Shaping of the Modern World, Yale University Press, New Haven, Conn, 2017, p. 243, fig. 13.15, NX543 +.E55 2017 Oversize (YCBA)