IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for a Medal: Figure of the Virgin, undated
Design for a Medal: Figure of the Virgin
- Graphite, pen and black ink, incised for transfer on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, pen in black and red ink, border lines
- Mount: 11 x 7 3/4 inches (27.9 x 19.7 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 6 7/8 × 4 1/2 inches (17.5 × 11.4 cm), Sheet: 5 3/8 × 2 7/8 inches (13.7 × 7.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite on Verso; upper right: "68/12/20/68"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- design | dove | figure (illustration) | genre subject | medal
- Associated People:
- The Virgin Mary
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.