Design for a Coin: Chambre du Commerce de Picarde; First Draft
- ca. 1761
- Materials & Techniques:
- Pen in black and gray ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, pen in black and red ink, border lines
- Mount: 11 x 7 3/4 inches (27.9 x 19.7 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 4 1/2 × 5 7/8 inches (11.4 × 14.9 cm), Sheet: 3 × 4 3/8 inches (7.6 × 11.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen with gray ink, within image, lower left: "Chambre du Commerce de Picardie | Tenaci Vimine"; in graphite on mount upper right: "6709 [?] Mellon"; Verso: inscribed in graphite, upper right: "68/12/20/72"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coin | design | emblem (symbol) | genre subject | unicorn
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for a Coin: Chambre du Commerce de Picarde; First Draft, ca. 1761
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.