- Design for a Medal: Novum Ex Prole Decus Et Tutamen
- Pen in black ink over graphite, squared and incised for transfer on medium, slightly textured, blued white laid paper, mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, pen in black and red ink, border lines
- Mount: 10 5/8 x 7 3/4 inches (27 x 19.7 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 4 3/8 x 4 inches (11.1 x 10.2 cm), and Sheet: 3 × 2 5/8 inches (7.6 × 6.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, within image, upper center: "NOVUM EX PROLE DECUS ET TUTAMEN", in pen with black ink, lower center: "ILLUST. D.D. DE SARTINE | PRAETORI POLIT VRE PAX | [?illegible?] 1769", inscribed in pen with black ink, on sheet, below image, lower center: "H. Gravelot delin."; on mount, in graphite, upper right: "6708 Mellon"; Verso:inscribed in graphite, on mount, upper right: "68/12/20/74"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegorical | clouds | design | figures | genre subject | medal
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for a Medal: Novum Ex Prole Decus Et Tutamen, 1769
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.