IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for a Medal: Novum Ex Prole Decus Et Tutamen, 1769
Design for a Medal: Novum Ex Prole Decus Et Tutamen
- Pen in black ink over graphite, squared and incised for transfer on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Mount: 10 5/8 x 7 3/4 inches (27 x 19.7 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 4 3/8 x 4 inches (11.1 x 10.2 cm), Sheet: 3 × 2 5/8 inches (7.6 × 6.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, within image, upper center: "NOVUM EX PROLE DECUS ET TUTAMEN", in pen with black ink, lower center: "ILLUST. D.D. DE SARTINE | PRAETORI POLIT VRE PAX | [?illegible?] 1769", inscribed in pen with black ink, on sheet, below image, lower center: "H. Gravelot delin."; on mount, in graphite, upper right: "6708 Mellon"; Verso:inscribed in graphite, on mount, upper right: "68/12/20/74"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegorical | clouds | design | figures | genre subject | medal
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.