Design for a Medal: Novum Ex Prole Decus Et Tutamen
- ca. 1769
- Pen and black ink, over graphite, squared and incised for transfer on medium, slightly textured, blued white laid paper mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, pen in black and red ink, border lines
- Mount: 10 5/8 x 7 3/4 inches (27 x 19.7 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 3 x 3 1/4 inches (7.6 x 8.3 cm), and Sheet: 1 5/8 x 1 7/8 inches (4.1 x 4.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen with black ink, over graphite, upper center: "NOVUM EX PROLE DECUS ET TUTMEN", in pen with black ink over graphite, lower center: "[illegible print]".; on mount, in graphite, upper right: "6708 Mellon"; Verso: on mount, inscribed in graphite, upper right: "68/12/20/74"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clouds | design | figures | genre subject | medal
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for a Medal: Novum Ex Prole Decus Et Tutamen, ca. 1769
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.