Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Layout Design for a Bookplate, undated
Layout Design for a Bookplate
- Graphite and black chalk on medium, slightly textured, gray laid paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, pen in black and red ink border lines
- Mount: 11 x 7 7/8 inches (27.9 x 20 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 6 1/8 × 4 1/2 inches (15.6 × 11.4 cm), and Sheet: 4 1/2 × 2 7/8 inches (11.4 × 7.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on verso, on mount, upper right: "68/12/20/76"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bookplate | design | genre subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.