Design for an Engraving: Parlement de Paris Reassembling with Figure of Justice
- Additional Title(s):
Pour une Gravure Relative a la Rentria du Parlement a Paris. Ex dono Senatus, Patria Radditi, 1762
- Graphite, squared with red chalk and incised for transfer on medium, moderately textured, beige laid paper mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige 19th century laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, pen in black and red ink border lines
- Mount: 12 x 11 1/16 inches (30.5 x 28.1 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 7 9/16 x 10 1/2 inches (19.2 x 26.7 cm), Sheet: 5 15/16 x 8 15/16 inches (15.1 x 22.7 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand, in graphite, upper center: "EX DONO | SENATUS | PATRIA REDDITI, | M.DCCL.XII"; inscribed in pen with black ink, lower right of mount: "Pour gravure relative a la rentrica du Parlement a Paris. | Ex dono Senatus, Patria Redditi, 1762."; inscribed in graphite, on mount, upper right: "6710 B Mellon"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | bust | figures | genre subject | men | putto | robes | scroll (information artifact) | sculpture | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for an Engraving: Parlement de Paris Reassembling with Figure of Justice, 1762
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.