IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Samuel Davis, 1757–1819, British, Gate of the Old Fort at Old Benares, ca. 1792
Gate of the Old Fort at Old Benares
- ca. 1792
- Watercolor and graphite on wove paper with pen and brown ink border laid down on heavy wove paper
- Mount: 21 × 27 3/4 inches (53.3 × 70.5 cm), Sheet: 17 1/4 × 23 11/16 inches (43.8 × 60.2 cm)
Inscribed, in graphite, verso, lower center: "Gate of the Old Fort | in Old Benares - as it stood in 1792 | by S Davis; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "J57"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | fort | ruins
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.