Design for an Ornamental Cartouche: Engraved Portrait of Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex (1485?-1540)
- Gray wash with pen in gray, black and brown ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, white, wove paper
- Sheet: 14 3/8 x 8 7/8 inches (36.5 x 22.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center left (withing vignette design):"Thos Cromwell [illegible?]" ; lower center (within vignette design): "original ornament as | designed by Houbraken"; in pen with gray ink, lower right, (outside of vignette): "HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE"; [Shamed be he who thinks evil of it-translation]; in graphite, lower right of sheet: "49"; Verso: inscribed in pen with brown ink, uipper center: "Thos Cromwel Earl of Essex"
Watermarks: Pro Patria
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Cartouche | Chair - Arm | crown | figures (illustrations) | genre subject | key | men | Order of the Garter | ornament | portrait | seated | standing (posture in worship) | sword
- Associated People:
- King Henry VIII
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for an Ornamental Cartouche: Engraved Portrait of Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex (1485?-1540), undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.