- Designs for an Ornamental Cartouche: for the Engraved Portrait of Sir Samuel Garth (1661-1719)
- Brown wash over graphite, with pen in brown and black ink on medium, moderately textured, beige, laid paper
- Sheet: 14 x 8 11/16 inches (35.6 x 22.1 cm) and Image: 13 5/8 x 8 1/4 inches (34.6 x 21 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen with brown ink; upper center: "Sr Samuel Garthe"; in graphite, lower right: "F. Gravelot [...]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apothecaries | apothecary bottles | books | caduceus | chemist | design | dispensary (health facility) | figures | genre subject | lyre | ornament | pharmacist | physician | poet | shelves | snake | window
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Designs for an Ornamental Cartouche: for the Engraved Portrait of Sir Samuel Garth (1661-1719), undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.