IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Designs for an Ornamental Cartouche: for the Engraved Portrait of Sir Samuel Garth (1661-1719), undated
Designs for an Ornamental Cartouche: for the Engraved Portrait of Sir Samuel Garth (1661-1719)
- Pen and brown ink, brown wash, and graphite on medium, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 14 x 8 11/16 inches (35.6 x 22.1 cm), Image: 13 5/8 x 8 1/4 inches (34.6 x 21 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen with brown ink; upper center: "Sr Samuel Garthe"; in graphite, lower right: "F. Gravelot [...]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apothecaries | apothecary bottles | books | caduceus | chemist | design | dispensary (health facility) | figures | genre subject | lyre | ornament | pharmacist | physician | poet | shelves | snake | window
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.