- Portrait of an Unknown Man
- Black chalk on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 13 1/2 × 9 1/2 inches (34.3 × 24.1 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "2998 | 3 198"; upper right: "Edmund Ashfield: Unknown Man"; center: "Vol. 8 661"; lower right: "B 51 | This is the Grandson of the Earl of | Hertford who was incalled Duke of | Somerset [...] Restoration | See Granger Vol. 3 page 198 | Died 1671. | Put it in my Illustraed | English History | 1688 William "; extensive illegible inscription, lower center, ending in: "William Seymour"; lower left: "28 | The drawing is by P Lely | own hand"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Edward B. Greene, B.A. 1900
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
attributed to Edmund Ashfield, active 1669–1690?, British, Portrait of an Unknown Man, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.