- A View from Peterborough Tower at Tangier
- Graphite, pen and brown ink, gray wash, brown wash, and watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 × 24 3/8 inches (20.3 × 61.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper center: "From Peterborow Tower at Tangier, Southward | The lands within the English lines of Communications"; in graphite, upper left to lower right: "Tangier | [...] | sand hill | Catharin Fort | White Hall | Bowling | Walley | [...] Walley | Pond Fort | Kendall Fort": in pen and brown ink: South | Enormous grounds | Monmouth Fort | James Fort | Norwood Fort | West | East North"; inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink: "From Peterborow Tower, Westward"; extensively inscribed with place names including: "Charles Fort | Henrietta Fort | Bridges Fort | Battery | Cambridge Fort | Bay | Broken ground like graves"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | settlement | view | wall
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
National Gallery in Prague, Wenceslaus Hollar: Drawing, 1607-1677, [Prague], p. 340-341, p. 342-343, cat. VI/2, NJ18.H73 V65 2017 (LC) Oversize (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Wenceslaus Hollar, 1607–1677, Bohemian, A View from Peterborough Tower at Tangier, 1669
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.