Dancing Platform, Cremorne Gardens, with a Portrait of Whistler
- Gray wash, pen and gray ink, and graphite on thick, smooth, cream card
- Sheet: 20 × 24 7/8 inches (50.8 × 63.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso in red pencil, upper left: "No.105"; in graphite, upper left: "W5521"; in pen and black ink, upper center: "Water Colour View | of the | Dancing Platform | Cremorne Gardens | by | H & W Greaves | 104 Cheyne Walk | Chelsea | Pupils of Whistler"; in graphite, center left: | Stooping Venus Fountain | Cremorne Gardens & entrance | to the theatre Mr W & H Greaves | & Miss Trinnie Greaves | (Alice Foy) | Dancing Platform & bandstand - Hotel (old Cremorne House) | to left | open boxes."
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "H&W Greaves."; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | genre subject | leisure
- Associated People:
- Whistler, James Abbott McNeill (1834–1903), painter and printmaker
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Walter Greaves, 1846–1930, British, Dancing Platform, Cremorne Gardens, with a Portrait of Whistler, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.