The Old Black Lion, Chelsea
- Gray and brown wash with pen and gray and brown ink, over graphite on medium, smooth, beige wove paper
- 10 1/2 x 8 3/16in. (26.7 x 20.8cm) and 8 1/8 × 10 3/8 inches (20.6 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in wash, lower left: " "the Old Black Lion Chelsea" "; in graphite, brown wash, and black wash, center: "TEAGARDENS | BLACK LION | T MERCHANT"
Lettered inside image in pen and black ink, center: "Teagardens"; center right: "Black | Lion"; lower center: " [...] T Merchant"
Signed in pen and black ink, lower center: "W. Greaves"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- chimneys | cityscape | lamppost | shop signs | shops | street | tea gardens
- Associated Places:
- Chelsea | England | Greater London | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Walter Greaves, 1846–1930, British, The Old Black Lion, Chelsea, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.