The Old Black Lion, Chelsea
- Gray and brown wash with pen and gray and brown ink, over graphite on medium, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/2 x 8 3/16in. (26.7 x 20.8cm) and Sheet: 8 1/8 × 10 3/8 inches (20.6 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in wash, lower left: " "the Old Black Lion Chelsea" "; in graphite, brown wash, and black wash, center: "TEAGARDENS | BLACK LION | T MERCHANT"
Lettered inside image in pen and black ink, center: "Teagardens"; center right: "Black | Lion"; lower center: " [...] T Merchant"
Signed in pen and black ink, lower center: "W. Greaves"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- chimneys | cityscape | lamppost | shop signs | shops | street | tea gardens
- Associated Places:
- Chelsea | England | Greater London | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Walter Greaves, 1846–1930, British, The Old Black Lion, Chelsea, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.