<< YCBA Home Yale Center for British Art Yale Center for British Art << YCBA Home

YCBA Collections Search

 
Creator:
Attributed to Theodore Jacobsen, died 1772, British
Title:

The Chapel of the Foundling Hospital, London

Additional Title(s):

Design for the Interior of the Chapel of the Foundling Hospital

Date:
undated
Medium:
Watercolor, pen and brown ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
Dimensions:
Sheet: 4 1/2 x 13 1/16 inches (11.4 x 33.2 cm)
Inscription(s)/Marks/Lettering:

Watermark: (pasted down)

Credit Line:
Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
Copyright Status:
Public Domain
Accession Number:
B1977.14.1148
Classification:
Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
Collection:
Prints and Drawings
Subject Terms:
chapels | churches | views
Associated Places:
Foundling Hospital | London
Access:
Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Link:
https://collections.britishart.yale.edu/catalog/tms:10613
Export:
XML

This drawing is one of a set of three interior perspectives of the Foundling Hospital’s chapel (see B1977.14.1148–50). Located in Bloomsbury, London, the Foundling Hospital was designed by Theodore Jacobsen. Completed in 1754, the chapel was situated among the main buildings of the hospital, facing the front court and adjoining the projecting east and west wings. The Foundling Hospital, established as a "Hospital for the Maintenance and Education of Exposed and Deserted Young Children,” was granted a royal charter in 1739 and quickly became one of London’s most popular charities. Prominent artists supported the institution, and their paintings lined the court room and picture gallery. With its organ donated by Handel, the chapel became famous for its musical performances, in turn raising funds for the hospital. This view shows the finished interior, looking east toward the altar with the Adoration of the Magi altarpiece donated by Andrea Casali already installed, which did not take place until 1752. The western gallery is supported by two columns in the foreground. The large clerk’s reading desk is visible near the center of the room, south of the aisle. A view of the chapel from the other end is included in Rudolph Ackermann's publication Microcosm of London (1808), illustrated by Augustus Charles Pugin and Thomas Rowlandson. The Foundling Hospital was demolished in 1928.

If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.