- Caricature of a Man Wearing Mortarboard
- Gray wash and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 3 5/8 × 2 3/4 inches (9.2 × 7 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, verso: rare; inscribed in T. E. Lowinsky's hand in pen and black ink on mount: "This drawing was in the album belonging to Lord Milford/ where it was given to Isaac Oliver - the book was inherited/ by Erasmus Philipps, whose descendant Sir John Philipps, 3rd Bart./ of Picton Castle sold it to the dealer Calmann who broke it up in 1943 - T. E. L." Inscribed in pen and brown ink on old laid paper mount: "Mr. Oliver/ No. 81, with portion of a watermark [crown within a shield?]; mount is now within docket. Collector's bookplate: Milford, within docket."
T.E.Lowinsky collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | figure study | mortarboard
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Le Piper, 1640–1698, British, Caricature of a Man Wearing Mortarboard, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.