IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John Frederick Lewis, 1804–1876, British, A Turkish Araba Drawn by Two White Oxen, Constantinople, 1841
A Turkish Araba Drawn by Two White Oxen, Constantinople
- Watercolor, white gouache and graphite with scratching out on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 14 1/2 x 19 3/4 inches (36.8 x 50.2 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in graphite lower right: "[ . . . ] | J.F. Lewis | 222 | 1841"
Signed and dated in graphite lower right: "J.F.Lewis | 1841"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- canopy | carriage | carts | genre subject | oxen | Turkish
- Associated Places:
- Constantinople | Turkey
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.