St. Goarhausen on the Rhine between Koblenz and Mainz
- Watercolor, white gouache, black chalk, and graphite, with scratching out on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 3/4 x 8 inches (17.1 x 20.3 cm) and Mount: 8 1/2 x 9 3/4 inches (21.6 x 24.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink lower right: "St. Goarhausen"
Signed on mount in graphite lower left: "J.F. Lewis RA From Colln. of Capt. E.G. Spencer Churchill. Sotheby Nov. 1919. MH Sept. (underlined) 1827."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | cliffs | geology | Grand Tour | landscape | mountains | river | rocks (landforms) | science | trees
- Associated Places:
- Germany | Koblenz | Mainz | Rhine | Sankt Goarshausen
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Frederick Lewis, 1804–1876, British, St. Goarhausen on the Rhine between Koblenz and Mainz, 1827
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.