IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John Frederick Lewis, 1804–1876, British, St. Goarhausen on the Rhine between Koblenz and Mainz, 1827
St. Goarhausen on the Rhine between Koblenz and Mainz
- Watercolor, white gouache, black chalk, and graphite, with scratching out on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 3/4 x 8 inches (17.1 x 20.3 cm), Mount: 8 1/2 x 9 3/4 inches (21.6 x 24.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink lower right: "St. Goarhausen"
Signed on mount in graphite lower left: "J.F. Lewis RA From Colln. of Capt. E.G. Spencer Churchill. Sotheby Nov. 1919. MH Sept. (underlined) 1827."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | cliffs | geology | Grand Tour | landscape | mountains | river | rocks (landforms) | science | trees
- Associated Places:
- Germany | Koblenz | Mainz | Rhine | Sankt Goarshausen
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.