The Valley of Lutscheuen
- Additional Title(s):
The Valley of Lütschine Valley (Lütschental)
The Lütschine Valley (Lütschental)
- Watercolor, white gouache, and graphite, with scratching out on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 3/4 x 10 1/2 inches (19.7 x 26.7 cm) and Mount: 9 3/4 x 13 5/8 inches (24.8 x 34.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Valley of Lutscheuen. Sept. 18"; inscribed on mount in graphite, lower left: "J.F. Lewis From Colln. of Capt E.G. Spencer. Churchill. Sotheby. Nov. 1919 | MH"; in graphite, lower center: "Sept 18, (underlined) 1827. | MH"; in graphite, lower right: "4"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- geology | Grand Tour | landscape | mountains | rocks (landforms) | science | trees | valley (landform)
- Associated Places:
- Grindelwald | Switzerland
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Frederick Lewis, 1804–1876, British, The Valley of Lutscheuen, 1827
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.