- Tyrolese Hunters
- between 1827 and 1828
- Watercolor, white gouache, graphite with pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper mounted on heavy card
- Sheet: 11 x 8 1/8 inches (27.9 x 20.6 cm) and Mount: 13 3/8 x 9 7/8 inches (34 x 25.1 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in black ink lower left: "9"; on mount in graphite lower center: "Tyrolese Hunters | J F Lewis RA"; inscribed on back in gray ink upper center: "C.R.Leslie" (in outlined typeface upside down); in graphite upper center: "8" (encircled); in graphite upper center: "J.F Lewis. RA | 1805-1876 | EXOS"
Signed in pen and brown ink bottom right: "J.F. Lewis"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cliffs | customs | dogs (animals) | Grand Tour | horses (animals) | hunters | landscape | mountains | sporting art
- Associated Places:
- Germany | Tyrol | Österreich
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Frederick Lewis, 1804–1876, British, Tyrolese Hunters, between 1827 and 1828
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.