Seamstresses, St. Kitts, Carribean
- Watercolor over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 5/8 × 4 7/8 inches (16.8 × 12.4 cm)
Inscription on piece of paper removed from verso, now in object file, brown ink: "Two Seamstresses of Basseterre - St Kitts St K | Taken at 6 o'clock in the morn'g | presented to Wm. Corbett Esq'r | by his friend Wm. Hay."
Signed and dated in graphite, lower center: " WH 1798."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | figure study | headgear | necklaces | seamstresses | women
- Associated Places:
- Saint Kitts
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
William Hay, active 1776–1797, British, Seamstresses, St. Kitts, Carribean, 1798
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.