Seamstresses, St. Kitts, Carribean
- Watercolor over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 5/8 × 4 7/8 inches (16.8 × 12.4 cm)
Inscription on piece of paper removed from verso, now in object file, brown ink: "Two Seamstresses of Basseterre - St Kitts St K | Taken at 6 o'clock in the morn'g | presented to Wm. Corbett Esq'r | by his friend Wm. Hay."
Signed and dated in graphite, lower center: " WH 1798."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | figure study | headgear | necklaces | seamstresses | women
- Associated Places:
- Saint Kitts
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William Hay, active 1776–1797, British, Seamstresses, St. Kitts, Carribean, 1798
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.