Design for the Parterre at Hampton Court
- Additional Title(s):
Design for Ornamental Gardens and the Long Water at Hampton Court Palace
- early 18th century
- Gray ink with watercolor over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped to image): 6 5/16 x 19 15/16 inches (16 x 50.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in 20th century hand in graphite, upper left: "LEONARD KNYFF: DESIGN FOR ORNAMENTAL GARDENS AND | THE LONG WATER AT HAMPTON COURT PALACE"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | avenues | balustrades | buildings | canal | carriages | costume | crowd | design | fences | formal garden | fountains | garden | garden elevation | gates | gowns | grounds | hats | horses (animals) | landscape | layout | men | palace | parterre | paths | patterns | plan (drawing) | pools | sedan chair | soldiers | spears | staffs | statues | steeple | steps | topiary | trees | urns | walkways | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Greater London | Hampton Court | London | Richmond upon Thames (borough) | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Country houses in Great Britain., Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1979, p. 67, no. 47, N6764 Y34 1979 (YCBA)
David Jacques, Gardens of Court and Country : English Design , 1630-1730, New Haven : Yale Univeristy Press, 2017, pp. 168-169, fig. 126, SB466 G7 +J334 2017 (YCBA)
The Anglo-Dutch garden in the age of William and Mary, De Gouden Eeuw van de Hollandse Tuinkunst , Journal of Garden History., vol. 8, nos. 2 & 3, London : Taylor & Francis, c1988, April - September 1988, pp. 21, 215, no. 82c, pl. 82c, SB457.6 H85 (LC)+ Oversize (YCBA) Special Double issue has been separately catalogued.