- Portrait of the Pugilist Johnson
- Pen and brown ink, brush and brown ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 7 1/2 inches (26 × 19.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower right: "Johnson 1790 -"
Watermark: Fleur-de-Lys; Paul Mellon collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boxer | collar | fighter | figure study | knickers | man | portrait | pugilist | shirt | shoes
- Associated People:
- Johnson, Tom (c.1750–1797), prize-fighter
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Lock II, 1767–1847, British, Portrait of the Pugilist Johnson, 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.