Mary, Queen of Scots, Embarking
- between 1785 and 1790
- Pen and brown ink and brown wash on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/8 x 17 3/4 inches (30.8 x 45.1 cm)
Inscribed on back in graphite upper right: "17 3/4 x 12"; in graphite lower left: "Mary, Queen of Scots, Embarking"
Signed in graphite lower left: "William Locke of Norbury"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armor | boats | dresses | hats | helmets | historical subject | lances | men | swords | women
- Associated People:
- Mary [Mary Stewart] (1542–1587), queen of Scots
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Fuseli Circle in Rome - Early Romantic Art in the 1770s (Yale Center for British Art, 1979-09-12 - 1979-11-11) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Nancy L. Pressly, The Fuseli circle in Rome : Early Romantic art of the 1770s, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1979, p. 117, no. 119, N6425 .N4 P73 (YCBA) [YCBA]