Burial of Sarah
- Additional Title(s):
- Brown ink and brown wash on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on thick, smooth, cream card
- Mount: 3 7/8 x 5 13/16 inches (9.8 x 14.8 cm) and Sheet: 3 3/8 x 5 7/16 inches (8.6 x 13.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back of mount, upper left: "J5381"; on back of mount, upper right: "M1005 - dark and | gold leaf. | Framed"; on back of mount, center left: "John Martin | 135 the Burial of Sarah"; on back of mount, center right: "S+D 1833 | Sepia L. 3 1/2 w 5 1/2"; on back of mount, lower left to lower right: "Exhibited by Mrs. Sotheby | Royal Dublin Society - Exhibition of Fine Arts 1861 | 89F"
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower right: "J. M. | 1833"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- burial | candles | cave | death | figures | funeral | kneeling | mourning | praying | religious and mythological subject | rocks (landforms) | Sarah's burial in the cave of Machpelah | shrouds | tomb | torches
- Associated Places:
- Ad Daffah al Gharbiyah | Asia | Cave of the Patriarchs | Hebron | Israel
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.