<< YCBA Home Yale Center for British Art Yale Center for British Art << YCBA Home

YCBA Collections Search

 
Creator:
John Nash, 1752–1835, British
John Adey Repton, 1775–1860, British
Title:

Corsham Court, Wiltshire: Elevation of the North Front

Additional Title(s):

Verso: Sketches for Windows of Corsham Court

Date:
ca. 1797
Medium:
Watercolor and graphite with pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
Dimensions:
Sheet: 7 9/16 × 14 3/8 inches (19.2 × 36.5 cm)
Inscription(s)/Marks/Lettering:

Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Corsham"; inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink, center: "North front No. 1"

Credit Line:
Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
Copyright Status:
Public Domain
Accession Number:
B1975.2.392
Classification:
Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
Collection:
Prints and Drawings
Subject Terms:
architectural subject | buttresses, flying | chimneys | country house | crenelations | cupolas | house | spires | towers | weathervanes | windows
Associated Places:
Corsham | England | Europe | United Kingdom | Wiltshire
Access:
Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Link:
https://collections.britishart.yale.edu/catalog/tms:11135
Export:
XML

In 1796, Paul Cobb Methuen commissioned John Nash to make alterations to Corsham Court, Wiltshire. Methuen’s Elizabethan mansion sat within a park designed by Lancelot “Capability” Brown and was in the process of being completely remodeled by Humphrey Repton. Nash drastically altered and expanded the building. This elevation shows the executed design for a new north front, having an expansive Gothic stone facade ornamented with crenellations and towers capped with ogival domes. The center of the elevation is punctuated by large projecting bays crowned with flying buttresses linking tall turrets to a hexagonal upper story. This prominent feature evokes Henry VI’s Chapel at Westminster Abbey and behind it lay the impressive Saloon, measuring 40 feet in diameter, lit by the large traceried windows. Nash’s building work at Corsham Court was completed in 1798 but was largely replaced by T. Bellamy’s alterations in the mid-nineteenth century. n
Madeleine Helmer, 2014

If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.