- Former Title(s):
Verso: Drawing of heads of a Woman and Child, study for The Order of Release, 1745
- Materials & Techniques:
- Pen and brown ink; verso: graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 7/8 × 6 7/8 inches (25.1 × 17.5 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink lower left: "To be painted moonlight"; in pen and brown ink lower center: "Accepted."
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink lower right: "John Everett Millais | 1853""
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baby | balls (parties) | child | courtship | dance | figure study | genre subject | motherhood | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Millais (Tate Britain, 2007-09-26 - 2008-01-13) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Pre-Raphaelites (Tate) (Tate Britain, 1984-03-07 - 1984-05-28) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Susan P. Casteras, The substance or the shadow : images of Victorian womanhood, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1982, pp. 87-8, no. 59, fig. 22, N7630 C27 + (YCBA) [YCBA]
Susan Fagence Cooper, The model wife, the passionate lives of Effie Gray, Ruskin and Millais , Duckworth Overlook, London, 2010, pp. 96-97, fig. 13, PR5263 C67 2010 (YCBA) [YCBA]