- Coleus edulis Vatke (Ethiopian Potato): finished drawing by J.F. Miller, of leafy flowering shoot, with details of flowers
- Watercolor and gouache over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 5/8 × 12 1/8 inches (39.7 × 30.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower center: "Strachys resupinata"; and, in pen and black ink, lower left: "John Frederick Miller Del. 1775.", inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink, upper left: "No 2 Stachys Respinata"
Watermarks: J Whatman (Fleur-de-lis)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Paul Hulton, Luigi Balugani's drawings of African plants, From the collection made by James Bruce of Kinnaird on his travels to discover the source of the Nile 1767-1773 , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1991, p. 82-83, pl. 14, QK98.183 B2 H85 1991 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Miller, active 1773–1814, Coleus edulis Vatke (Ethiopian Potato): finished drawing by J.F. Miller, of leafy flowering shoot, with details of flowers, 1775
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.