A View at Terracina
- Watercolor with pen and black ink over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper in contemporary laid paper insert with pen and black ink, and gray wash boader
- Mount: 16 x 21 1/2 inches (40.6 x 54.6 cm), Image: 14 3/8 x 19 15/16 inches (36.5 x 50.6 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink, lower center: "A VIEW at TERRACINA"
Watermark: Fleur-de-lis; collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Signed and dated in gray ink, lower right: "Jacob More Rome 1778"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beach | boats | child | clouds | fishermen | fishing | genre subject | Grand Tour | hats | hills | labor | landscape | men | nets | ocean | rocks (landforms) | ruins | sand | working
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Latina | Lazio | Terracina
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Edward Lear and the Art of Travel (Yale Center for British Art, 2000-09-20 - 2001-01-14) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Scott Wilcox, Edward Lear and the art of travel, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2000, pp. 130-1, no. 147, NJ18 L455 W55 2000 (YCBA) [YCBA]
Andrew Wilton, The Art of Alexander and John Robert Cozens, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1980, p. 54, no. 148, pl. 51, NJ18 C83 W55 OVERSIZE (YCBA) [YCBA]