IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
attributed to John Hamilton Mortimer, 1740–1779, British, Portrait of James Tuffs, undated
Portrait of James Tuffs
- Pen and brown ink and brush and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 8 7/8 x 7 1/4 inches (22.5 x 18.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper left to upper right: "James Tuffs Labourer in Sr. Thos. Lee's | garden 1730 & after - | By Mortimer"; in pen and brown ink lower left: "Found at Hartwell, Buckinghamshire. | January 1846."
Watermark: pro patria (similar to Heawood 3709); collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- gardeners | heads | laborers | men | portrait
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.