A Study for the Pilkington Crest, a mower with a scythe
- Pen and brown ink, pen and black ink, gray wash, and graphite, with squaring on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/4 x 11in. (31.1 x 27.9cm) and Sheet: 12 1/4 × 11 inches (31.1 × 27.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, upper center: "Pilkintone Creast [...], (onely uppon a - | wreath, without ye Corn behyond.)"; in pen and black ink, upper right:"B | or. | Sab. | proper. | purple"
Watermark: Fleur-de-Lys (unidentified)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- figure study | genre subject | grass | man | text | worker
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Place, 1647–1728, British, A Study for the Pilkington Crest, a mower with a scythe, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.