A Prospect of Vapourland
- Brown and black ink and wash over graphite on moderately thick, rough, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 18 1/2 x 24 7/8 inches (47 x 63.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink, center: "A Prospect of Vapourland | The Batavia Plane Tree | The Dragon Tree | The Ficus Peoeides maximus canle Hibernica | foliis Linatis | The Rattan palm Tree | Lapis Andromorphites | The Gibbet Tree | Mount Lion | Phisic road | Calves-head hillock | the [Sky after Ploonius] | By Wm Bentley 1759"; in graphite lower center: "[...] | [...1844]"
Signed and dated on verso in pen and brown ink, center: "Wm Bentley 1759"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animals | bats (animals) | birds | clouds | dead | hills | landscape | leaves | lion | men | rats | snakes | Surrealist | tent | trees | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Horace Walpole's Strawberry Hill (Victoria and Albert Museum, 2010-03-06 - 2010-07-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Horace Walpole's Strawberry Hill (Yale Center for British Art, 2009-10-15 - 2010-01-03) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Fantastic Illustration and Design in Britain 1850-1930 (Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, 1979-06-05 - 1979-09-02) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Fantastic Illustration and Design in Britain 1850-1930 (Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, 1979-03-28 - 1979-05-13) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]