- A Prospect of Vapourland
- Brown and black ink and wash over graphite on moderately thick, rough, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 18 1/2 x 24 7/8 inches (47 x 63.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink, center: "A Prospect of Vapourland | The Batavia Plane Tree | The Dragon Tree | The Ficus Peoeides maximus canle Hibernica | foliis Linatis | The Rattan palm Tree | Lapis Andromorphites | The Gibbet Tree | Mount Lion | Phisic road | Calves-head hillock | the [Sky after Ploonius] | By Wm Bentley 1759"; in graphite lower center: "[...] | [...1844]"
Signed and dated on verso in pen and brown ink, center: "Wm Bentley 1759"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animals | bats (animals) | birds | clouds | dead | hills | landscape | leaves | lion | men | rats | snakes | Surrealist | tent | trees | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Richard Bentley, 1708–1782, British, A Prospect of Vapourland, 1759
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.