- A Project for the Monument of the Apotheosis of Nelson
- Pen and brown ink; verso: graphite on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 23 3/4 × 12 1/2 inches (60.3 × 31.8 cm)
Lettered inside image in pen and brown ink, upper center: "VISCOUNT | NELSON | TRAFALGAR | [CO]PENHAGEN | NILE"
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower center: "B.West | 1806"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apotheosis | column (architectural element) | design | figures | historical subject | lion | monument | shield | wings
- Associated People:
- Nelson, Horatio, Viscount Nelson (1758–1805), naval officer
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Helmut von Erffa, The Paintings of Benjamin West, Yale University Press, New Haven, 1986, p. 222, NJ18 W52 A12 +E73 Oversize (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Benjamin West, 1738–1820, American, active in Britain (from 1763), A Project for the Monument of the Apotheosis of Nelson, 1806
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.