IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Benjamin West, 1738–1820, American, active in Britain (from 1763), A Project for the Monument of the Apotheosis of Nelson, 1806
A Project for the Monument of the Apotheosis of Nelson
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Preliminary Sketch for 'Death of Nelson'
- Pen and brown ink; verso: graphite on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 23 3/4 × 12 1/2 inches (60.3 × 31.8 cm)
Lettered inside image in pen and brown ink, upper center: "VISCOUNT | NELSON | TRAFALGAR | [CO]PENHAGEN | NILE"
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower center: "B.West | 1806"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apotheosis | column (architectural element) | design | figures | historical subject | lion | monument | shield | wings
- Associated People:
- Nelson, Horatio, Viscount Nelson (1758–1805), British naval officer
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Helmut von Erffa, The Paintings of Benjamin West, Yale University Press, New Haven, 1986, p. 222, NJ18 W52 A12 +E73 Oversize (YCBA) [YCBA]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.