- Watercolor and gouache over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 14 1/2 x 20 5/8 inches (36.8 x 52.4 cm), Sheet: 14 x 20 inches (35.6 x 50.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower left: "The Ganges."
Signed and dated in brown ink lower left: "Wm. Simpson 1863"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- birds | crocodiles | figures | fire | landscape | river | ships | smoke | sunset | trees | village
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Ganges | India
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Victorian Landscape Watercolors (Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, 1993-02-11 - 1993-04-12) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Victorian Landscape Watercolors (The Cleveland Museum of Art, 1992-11-18 - 1993-01-03) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Victorian Landscape Watercolors (Yale Center for British Art, 1992-09-09 - 1992-11-01) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
From Merchants to Emperors - British Artists in India 1757-1930 (Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1986-10-02 - 1987-01-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
From Merchants to Emperors - British Artists in India 1757-1930 (The Morgan Library & Museum, 1986-05-01 - 1986-07-31) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]