- The Ganges
- Watercolor and gouache over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper, pasted on contemporary mount made of medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 14 1/2 x 20 5/8 inches (36.8 x 52.4 cm) and Sheet: 14 x 20 inches (35.6 x 50.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower left: "The Ganges."
Signed and dated in brown ink lower left: "Wm. Simpson 1863"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- birds | crocodiles | figures | fire | landscape | river | ships | smoke | sunset | trees | village
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Ganges | India
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Simpson, 1823–1899, British, The Ganges, 1863
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.