IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
James Baynes, 1766–1837, British, Rocks with Central Cavern Among Trees, 1797
Rocks with Central Cavern Among Trees
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, with traces of grouche and graphite on medium, moderately textured, gray laid paper
- Sheet: 11 11/16 × 18 15/16 inches (29.7 × 48.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, veso, lower left: "J Girtin | 1797"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "(Belonged to J G Wellington | & given me by his grandson | Drawn probably, at one of the | Club meetings [...] Geo.[...]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cavern | landscape | rocks (landforms) | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.