Design for a Medal: Growing Arts Adorn Empire, Caroline Protecting
- ca. 1736
- Pen and black ink, over graphite, incised for transfer on medium, moderately textured, beige laid paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, and pen in black and red ink border lines
- Mount: 11 1/8 x 7 3/4 inches (28.3 x 19.7 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 4 7/8 x 4 3/8 inches (12.4 x 11.1 cm), Sheet: 3 1/4 × 2 7/8 inches (8.3 × 7.3 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand, in reverse, in pen and black ink, within circled design, upper center: "GROWING ARTS ADORN EMPIRE:"; in reverse, in pen with black ink, within circled design, lower center: "CAROLINE PROTECTING."; in pen with black ink, lower center: "GROWING ARTS ADORN EMPIRE: | CAROLINE PROTECTING."; on verso, in graphite on mount, upper right: "68/12/20/62"
Signed in pen and black ink, lower center: "H. Gravelot inv. & delin"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- design | emblem (allegorical picture) | female | figure (illustration) | genre subject | medal | standing
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Enlightened Princesses - Caroline, Augusta, Charlotte, and the Shaping of the Modern World (Yale Center for British Art, 2017-02-02 - 2017-04-30) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]