IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
George Walker, active 1792–died 1795, British, Scotsman with Sword; Modern Dress of a Highland Chieftan, undated
Scotsman with Sword; Modern Dress of a Highland Chieftan
- Watercolor and graphite on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 4 3/8 × 2 15/16 inches (11.1 × 7.5 cm)
Inscribed on mount in pen and black ink, lower center: "Modern dress of a Highland | Cheiftain | McNab Tartan + Clan Alpin Plaid. | Black leather belt with dirk + pistol | Goat skin purse, ornamented with tasel | Broad sword"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- belt (costume accessory) | bow (costume accessory) | bow tie | costume | figure study | Highland costume | jacket | kilt | sash (quilt component) | Scottish | sporran | stockings | sword | tartan
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.