Portrait Studies of Actors including Mary Wells as Cowslip, John Kemble, Edmund Kean, and Sarah Siddons as Hermione
- Graphite, red chalk, and pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/16 × 13 1/16 inches (23 × 33.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, center: "DW | March 31st | 1802"; upper right: "April 1st 1802 | 2 Morning"; in graphite, center right: "Miss Mary Wells | 'Cowslip' "; lower center: "E Kean | 1802"; lower left: "Kemble"; lower center: "Kean"; lower right: "Mrs. Siddons | April <...> 1802"; lower right: "De Wilde | 1802"
Signed and dated in graphite, lower left: "DeWilde | 1802"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Cowslip (character in The Agreeable Surprise)
Hermione (character in The Winter's Tale)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Samuel De Wilde, 1748–1832, British, Portrait Studies of Actors including Mary Wells as Cowslip, John Kemble, Edmund Kean, and Sarah Siddons as Hermione, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.