The Search after Truth
- Pen and black ink, black chalk, gray wash, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, brown, wove paper
- 14 13/16 × 21 5/16 inches (37.6 × 54.1 cm)
Inscribed in black chalk, lower left: "The Search after Truth | Phizs Fancies"; inscribed on verso, center: "The Search after Truth | [Cathedral, [?Divinity] Chapel - Synagogue - Mosque - [...] | [?Theatre], Devil to pay - Mailing Station - [...] - Festival Hall"; lower center, H.K.B."; lower right: "Art Club. D16 | [...]"
Signed in pen, with black ink, lower right: "Phiz"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Bible | children | dog (animal) | genre subject | pig | satire | truth | well (structure) | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Hablot Knight Browne, 1815–1882, British, The Search after Truth, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.