The Search after Truth
- Pen and black ink, black chalk, gray wash, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, brown, wove paper
- Sheet: 14 13/16 × 21 5/16 inches (37.6 × 54.1 cm)
Inscribed in black chalk, lower left: "The Search after Truth | Phizs Fancies"; inscribed on verso, center: "The Search after Truth | [Cathedral, [?Divinity] Chapel - Synagogue - Mosque - [...] | [?Theatre], Devil to pay - Mailing Station - [...] - Festival Hall"; lower center, H.K.B."; lower right: "Art Club. D16 | [...]"
Signed in pen, with black ink, lower right: "Phiz"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Bible | children | dog (animal) | genre subject | satire | truth | well (structure) | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Hablot Knight Browne, 1815–1882, British, The Search after Truth, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.