The Duel: 'Twelfth Night,' Act III, Scene IV
- Additional Title(s):
The Duel from 'Twelfth Night'
- ca. 1790
- Watercolor, pen and gray ink, red ink, black ink, brown ink, gum arabic, graphite, and white gouache on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper, mounted on medium, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 22 1/8 × 16 13/16 inches (56.2 × 42.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite,verso, center: "28 x 22 (underlined)"; lower left (along paper edge), in brown pen: "Print Hallen 42", in graphite: "George says this is by Bunbury (underlined) | 28 1/4 x 22 mows for Fildere"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actors | arch | belts | breeches | capes | duel | fear | feathers | fences | fighting | fur | garden | gate | hats | hose | literary theme | officers | orchard | plays by William Shakespeare | spears | swords | tassels | trees | tricking | Twelfth Night, Act III, Scene IV | Twelfth Night; or, What You Will, play by William Shakespeare
- Associated People:
- Sir Andrew Aguecheek (character in Twelfth Night)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Sir Toby Belch
Fabian (character in Twelfth Night)
Antonio (character in Twelfth Night)
Viola as Cesario
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Henry William Bunbury, 1750–1811, British, The Duel: 'Twelfth Night,' Act III, Scene IV, ca. 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.