Cobham Hall, Kent: Plan of Stables and Coach Houses
- Graphite, pen and black ink on moderately thick, moderately textured beige laid paper
- Sheet: 21 1/4 x 35 inches (54 x 88.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper center: "Plan of the Stables and Coach Houses | Cobham Hall"; in pen and brown ink, center left: "The door f. to be in the middle | of the stables - | The door g. to be in the | middle of the staircase"; in pen and black ink, three times, lower left: "to sink 18 in."; in pen and brown ink, lower left: "Present Brewhouse"; in pen and brown ink, lower center: "from c. to b. which is 22.5 the ground to sink 18in | from f to d. which is likewise 22.5 the ground is to | face 18 in. and from d. to e. which is 25 feet and the | middle of the Stable Yard to sink also 18 in. from d. | to the doorway f. the ground to fall 2 feet. - "; in pen and brown ink, lower center, scale bar labeled 1in=6.7ft; in pen and black ink, lower right: "T. 7 1/2 in. lower than S | V is 1.10 1/2 lower than T | W cellar floor is 9.8 loewr than S."; in pen and brown ink, center right: "South East Tower of the House", "Stairs down to Cellar | Stairs to go to lodging rooms"; in pen
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower center: "James Wyatt 1789"; dated in black ink, verso, lower center: "Sept 11. 1789"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- breweries | coaches (railroad cars) | horse barns | plans (drawings) | stables | stairs | windows
- Associated Places:
- Cobham | Cobham Hall | England | Kent | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James Wyatt, 1746–1813, British, Cobham Hall, Kent: Plan of Stables and Coach Houses, 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.